Academics / Enrichment
Academic Programs offered at St. Gregory the Great School
We follow the New York State Common Core Learning Standards.
- Reading is completed at each grade level through Grade 8, separate from the English Language Arts curriculum.
- English Language Arts emphasizes the writing components through Grade 8. There are many opportunities to enhance their creativity.
- Advanced/Enriched Math begins in Grade 5 culminating in Integrated Algebra (Grade 9 Regents Math) in Grade 8.
- Advanced Regents Earth Science in Grade 8.
- Science program is hands-on from Kindergarten through Grade 8.
- Foreign Language: Choice of Latin or Spanish begin in Grade 5, taken through Grade 8.
- On-line communication between parents and teachers.
- Special programs such as Computers, Art, Music and Physical Education are taught weekly at each grade level.
- Technology: Each classroom is wired for the internet; the junior high wing is wireless; computers in each classroom; two computer labs; iPad and Windows Tablet carts for every grade level; SMARTBoards™ in every classroom.
- Music program begins in Kindergarten. Keyboarding instruction begins in Grade 2; recorders in Grade 3; percussion and wind instruments in the Grade 4; Suzuki string instruction at the Kindergarten level.
- Bands/Strings: Beginning band, concert band, jazz band conducted by John Witmer. Suzuki strings ensemble led by Gretta Speller.
- Boys and Girls Choirs offered in Grades 2-8.
Enrichment Programs at St. Gregory the Great School
Each semester a wide variety of enrichment activities are offered to the students after school. These include:
- Tae Kwon Do
- Pottery and Ceramics
- Math Preparation
- Saints Alive!
- Girls on the Run
- Just to name a few!