2022 Mass Intentions
MASS INTENTIONS 2022
The deep faith and charity of our Parish community is most evident in the abundance of Mass requests, which exceed the number of Masses offered. In order to encourage and support the orderly execution of this pious practice we are publishing our parish policies which are now in line with the Code of Canon Law and our Diocesan policies. We will work with all who seek Mass intentions to handle requests in a way that is just, honorable and in keeping with the laws of the Church.
- Canon Law requires the scheduling of one Pro Populo (for the people) on every Holy Day of Obligation (including Sundays). This intention includes all those who live in the boundaries of St. Gregory the Great Parish, regardless of their faith tradition. (No other intention may be scheduled in conjunction with this).
- Canon Law prohibits the scheduling of multiple intentions for one Mass. The Diocese of Buffalo does permit two Mass intentions for no more than three Masses in a week (Monday –Sunday). Therefore, between Monday and Sunday there can be a total of 3 Masses offered with two intentions if the intentions are not for the same person/same intention (e.g. Jane Doe deceased).
- A maximum of 5 intentions per year for any one individual and from any one individual may be scheduled at the parish. Thus, no more than 5 Masses may be offered for "Jane Doe" and the "Smith family" may request no more than 5 Masses to be offered at St. Greg's. Additional Masses beyond the requested five may however, be sent to retired priests who, even in retirement, are required to offer a daily Mass.
- When a funeral occurs, many sincere and generous family members of the deceased offer Mass intentions. If the sum of the offerings for the deceased exceeds more than seventy-five dollars (5 Masses) the excess monies may be returned to you, or the intention can be forwarded to priests who will celebrate Mass for that intention regardless of the location of the Mass.
- Each intention is limited to either two names or one group name (e.g. John & Jane Doe or the Doe Family). Please be sure to indicate if the Mass request is for the living or dead.
- Lengthy intention listings cannot be published in the Bulletin and must be edited for the sake of brevity. Since the intention in the Bulletin is to notify the family and friends of the intention, we suggest the omission of middle initials, titles, etc.
In lieu of a Mass intention you may also commemorate or honor someone by having the offerings for the Host (weekly $55; monthly $220), Wine (weekly $40; monthly $160) and the Sanctuary Candle (weekly $35; monthly $140). These are available for both 2021 and 2022. These offerings are included in the Bulletin, too.