2023 Mass Intentions
MASS INTENTIONS 2023
The faith of our Parish community is most evident in the abundance of Mass requests, which exceed the number of Masses offered. Please note our Parish policies, listed below, are in line with the Code of Canon Law and Diocesan policies. We will work with all who seek Mass intentions to handle requests in a way that is fair, honorable and in keeping with the laws of the Church.
- Canon Law requires the scheduling of one Pro Populo (for the people) on every Holy Day of Obligation (including Sundays). This intention includes all those who live in the boundaries of St. Gregory the Great Parish, regardless of their faith tradition. (No other intention may be scheduled in conjunction with this.)
- Canon Law prohibits the scheduling of multiple intentions for one Mass. The Diocese of Buffalo does permit two Mass intentions for no more than three Masses in a week (Monday –Sunday). Therefore, between Monday and Sunday there can be a total of 3 Masses offered with two intentions if the intentions are not for the same person/same intention (e.g. Jane Doe deceased or offered by the same person/family).
- A maximum of 5 intentions per year for any one individual and from any one person/family may be scheduled at the parish. No more than 5 Masses may be offered for “Jane Doe” and the “Smith family” may not request more than 5 Masses to be offered at St. Greg’s.
- When a funeral occurs, many friends and family of the deceased offer Mass intentions. If the sum of the offerings for the deceased exceeds more than seventy-five dollars (5 Masses) the excess monies will be returned to you.
- Each intention is limited to either two names or one group name (e.g. John & Jane Doe or the Doe Family). Please be sure to indicate if the Mass request is for the living or dead.
- Lengthy intention listings cannot be published in the Bulletin and must be edited for the sake of brevity (e.g. omission of middle initials, titles, etc.)
- In lieu of a Mass intention you may also commemorate or honor someone by having the offerings for the Host (weekly $55; monthly $220), Wine (weekly $40; monthly $160) and the Sanctuary Candle (weekly $35; monthly $140). These are available for both 2022 and 2023. These offerings are included in the Bulletin, too.
Please complete the form below and mail it to our Parish Office, or bring to the Parish Office in person. The standard stipend for Masses is $15 (check made payable to St. Gregory). If you have more than one intention, please send a list with ALL the information and one payment. PLEASE PRINT TO ENSURE ACCURACY. We will do our best to honor the time requested, but if the date requested is not available, we will move the Mass to the next closest available date.